I leave for my trip in exactly a month.
Nervous? Honestly, not overly. There are moments when I get a rush of anxiety at the thought of being on a plane for 8.5 hours (GASP), but it quickly passes when I begin to think of what I will experience once I’m there.
Of course, not everyone else in my life is as excited for my adventure. For those not going with me, I get a lot of “be careful”‘s and “I get sick to my stomach when I think of you going over there alone”. I am thankful for their concern. After-all, it’s a great feeling to know that I’m loved that much.
But of course, all of this concern has got me thinking. And, because I am slightly neurotic (okay, more than slightly) my mind has gone into overdrive. So now I’m asking myself: why am I not scared?
Possible reasons why I should be a bit scared?
- I’m going to be in a foreign country all alone.
- I will be without my closest friends for 3 months.
- I will be spending a lot of time alone while traveling to different destinations.
- There will be bad days.
- There will be really bad days.
- I will be homesick.
If you are, don’t be!
- I have wanted to travel to another country since I first moved to Ottawa.
- I have moved many times and have had to make new friends before, so I can do it again.
- I enjoy being alone.
- There will be good days.
- There will be fantastic, life-changing, days.
- I will be homesick for the places I visited when I return.
Sure, there are a lot of unknowns. There are a lot of what if’s. There are a lot of moments in my future that I cannot plan for. But, I cannot let this hold me back (right, Mumzie?).
“Doing it today, so I won’t regret it tomorrow” is the subtitle to this blog for a reason.
On that note, here are a few photos I’ve taken. Some I took while I was visiting with friends, which of course were amazing moments that I cherish very much. Others I took while I was alone, moments that I also cherish; being alone doesn’t mean being lonely.
So there you have it. Sure, I’ll be spending a lot of time alone on my travels, but that’s okay. I’m used to it. And don’t worry, if every traveler I’ve talked to is right, I will make plenty of friends along the way.
Jeera: Instagram Account (love his photos)